Is a Heat Pump Better Than an Air Conditioner for Florida Weather?
When it comes to beating the Florida heat and keeping your home at a comfortable temperature, it’s important to choose the unit that’s best fit for the job. Though both air conditioners and heat pumps are equipped to handle the high temperatures, a heat pump is a better choice.
The biggest difference between the two units is that heat pumps can provide heating while air conditioners cannot. Heat pumps are ideal for handling the moderate winter temperatures in Florida and other southern states, making them a smart investment.
Benefits of Owning a Heat Pump
In addition to being able to heat and cool your home, heat pumps come with an additional set of benefits. If you’re on the fence, trying to decide if you should purchase an air conditioner or heat pump, keep these heat pump benefits in mind:
- Improved air quality – As your heat pump circulates the air in your room, its filers, cleans, and purifies the air. It removes dust, mold, smoke, and other particles and is a great choice for people who suffer from asthma or allergies.
- Both heating and cooling services – Heat pumps not only can quickly cool down a room, but they also can be used for heating. They’re able to extract heat energy from outside and bring it into your home, as well as extract heat from inside your home and transfer it outside.
- Energy efficiency and eco-friendliness – These units are currently the most cost-effective way to keep your home comfortable. And because heat pumps don’t burn anything at the heat energy source, there are no additional carbon emissions aside from the small amount of electrical energy required to run the compressor. They’re very environmentally friendly and don’t harm the ozone layer.
- Convenience – Heat pumps allow you to increase or decrease the temperature of a room at the push of a button. They have the power to change the temperature in a matter of minutes. Many units have the added benefit of a programmable timer, which allows you to schedule a temperature change.
Benefits of Air Conditioners
Just because heat pumps are ideal for Florida homes doesn’t mean that air conditioners are just as good of a choice. Air conditioners come with benefits as well, such as they’re:
- Cost effective – If you live in an area that doesn’t experience much cold weather, a heat pump may not be necessary. In this case, it would make more sense to invest in an air conditioner. Though heat pumps are very efficient, AC units tend to be more cost effective for cooling use. Air conditioners are also less expensive to purchase up front than a heat pump.
- Improved air quality – Like heat pumps, air conditioners also improve indoor air quality. They’re capable of filtering out pollen, dust, and other allergens in your air.
- Good for allergies – Air conditioners disinfect the air we breathe, reducing the risk of asthma attacks and allergies. They remove pollen and dust, as well as prevent the growth of mildew and mold.
- Doesn’t depend on outside temperatures – With a heat pump, the temperature of your home depends on the temperature outside. With an air conditioner, that’s not the case.
Schedule Heat Pump or AC Installation in Lakeland Today
Our team of highly trained technicians at Iceberg Air Conditioning and Heating has over 70 years’ experience in residential and commercial HVAC in the Lakeland area. Our team strives to provide our customers with the best product, workmanship, and customer service possible.
If you’re interested in having an air conditioner or heat pump installed, we’re the ones to call. We offer heat pump and AC repair, replacement, and maintenance services as well. For the best HVAC services in Polk County, call Iceberg today!
To schedule heat pump or AC installation in the Lakeland area, give us a call at (863) 223-1849 or contact us online!