Why Is My Furnace Blowing Cool Air?
When a furnace first turns on, it is relatively common for cool air to be blown out of the ductwork for a few seconds, until it is replaced by heated air. If your furnace continues to blow cool air, however, there may be a problem with your thermostat or the furnace itself.
Common Reasons Why a Furnace Will Blow Cool Air
Cool air can be caused by numerous problems, from incorrect thermostat settings to duct leaks. The most common include:
- Incorrect fan settings – If the fan switch on your thermostat is set to “On” instead of “Auto,” the fan will run continuously, drawing cooler air between heating cycles.
- Improper thermostat settings – If your thermostat is not set to the correct temperature it could blow cool air from the air conditioner, instead of warm air from the furnace. Check the thermostat’s settings, especially if the batteries are low or have been replaced recently.
- Damaged thermostat – A defective thermostat could cause problems with the furnace or the fan. Check it for problems and have it replaced, if necessary.
- Limit switch problems – The limit switch for the furnace turns the blower fan on only once the air has been heated thoroughly and keeps it running for a while after the furnace turns off to make use of any remaining heat. This improves the furnace’s efficiency, and prevents the heat exchanger from overheating and cracking. A damaged limit switch could allow the fan to run before the air is heated properly, or after the air has already cooled.
- Ignition failure – A damaged electronic igniter or a pilot light that has blown out can prevent the burners from lighting when required, resulting in cool air from the vents.
- Thermocouple failure – In a furnace with a pilot light, a thermocouple is used to ensure that the gas is only on when the pilot is lit, preventing dangerous gas accumulations when the pilot goes out. A damaged thermocouple will prevent the pilot light and burners from functioning properly, resulting in cool air.
- Flame sensor problems – A dirty or damaged flame sensor on newer furnaces could cause the burners to shut off prematurely, resulting in cooler air if the fan keeps operating.
- Furnace overheating – If the furnace does not receive enough airflow, the heat exchanger may become too hot, and the burners will shut down to prevent damage to the heat exchanger. If the fan keeps running, cooler air may be expelled from the vents. Poor airflow can be caused by a clogged air filter, duct obstructions, or blocked return vents.
- Duct leaks – If you have ducts that are not thoroughly sealed, cool air can be drawn in from other areas of your home. Likewise, air ducts that are not insulated properly can allow the heated air to cool, especially if they are in cold areas like a crawl space.
If an errant thermostat setting, a blocked vent, or a clogged air filter is causing your furnace to blow cool air, you may be able to correct it yourself. For more serious problems, however, you will need professional assistance.
Furnace Repairs in Lakeland, Florida
When you are having furnace problems in your Lakeland home, you can count on our team at Iceberg Cooling for fast, reliable repairs. We have been serving the Lakeland and Polk County area for over 70 years, and our HVAC professionals are available 24/7 for emergency repairs.
Why Choose Iceberg?
Highly Trained & CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS
Fast, Responsive Service
What Our Clients Are Saying
“ We are very pleased with Iceberg, from sales to installation it was all done in a timely matter and as Promised. Shawn Crawford and Adam Jr came out on Saturday and worked all day, even though they faced a few hurdles, they did what they had to do to get it done. They were very polite.”
“ Chuck arrived within a day after my call. He was very kind, courteous and professional. He looked at my unit and told me what my options were as far as the unit. I felt very confident that he was telling me the true issues with my unit and what would be in my best interest.”
“ They are fast, reliable, and courteous! They have been out to our house twice to fix the same problem for two different reasons and both times were on time and cared about the well-being of our family. They are also very knowledgeable and also advised us on how to keep our A/C maintained during stor...”
“ Chuck from iceberg A/C and heating, LLC was AMAZING! I was recommended to this company, and I'm so happy I was. Chuck was timely, efficient, and thorough. He didn't try and sell me repairs that weren't needed, found our problem and will get fixed tomorrow! I would 100% recommend them to anyone, espe...”
“ Excellent work, very reliable. Highly recommend for all your heating and cooling needs.”
“ Very happy to have found them to help us with our AC needs. Very responsive, punctual, honest and friendly!! Elon is great very professional and courteous. Definitely recommend using them for service and repair.”